Saturday, May 1

Lets get my blog on.

Lets go over some of the stuff I've been up to recently.

First of all, regarding my last blog, I'm afraid that even the best of us get a little frustrated at being alone. I refuse to apologise for it, and as this blog has pretty much replaced my written diary, its up to me what I write, so there. Although, I myself am not comfortable with everyone and anyone getting their mits on my shortcomings and vulnerabilities, I should definitely consider digging out the last of my diaries and writing "Four years later...".

Four weeks left of my first year of Uni now, the final stretch before an uninterrupted summer break. The pressure is somewhat piling on, but I have consistently been achieving merits this year and therefore feel with the extra work I have put in, I deserve a little breathing room. I will not be resting on my laurels however, you won't catch me idly twiddling my thumbs waiting for next year to start, oh no! I intend on using some of my remaining loan to learn how to drive over the summer. I may even push for a small summer job, maybe a little light weekend work to tide me over and make sure my loan doesn't disappear completely.

Stand-up is up standing at the moment. Well, as far as my last gig is concerned it is, as I had such an awesomely ripping time with the other Manchester acts in one of the fullest, loveliest rooms I have ever played which for loyalty purposes I shall name: Yours Bar (the student bar on Salford Uni campus.)

The gig before was awful, but I have learned to take something from every gig I do, be it good or bad. I've learned that I am still a new act and I shouldn't be punishing myself for having a bad gig. I have learned that pressure and nerves make for an unfunny Sye, and to that end I need to channel the nerves into energy for my set rather than fear in my belly. I have learned that competitions are different to open spots in clubs or evenings simply in the way the audience judge you and share high expectations which are usually unfounded (as particular with Beat the Frog which is largely for new acts.) I am umming and arring about whether to start keeping a gig diary online, I mean I certainly want to keep one on paper (I have a diary, which I went out and bought specially the other day but it starts at August of this year, so I'll need a notebook until then I guess.) I need something to record who I am on with, how I expect the gig to go, how it actually goes, what I like, what I don't like, that kind of thing. Something which I can use to self evaluate, and also note down anything I think I can use at a later gig (as I do come up with some good stuff while on stage.)

I think since starting in January the main lesson is to slow down, to not expect big things so quickly. I think because (disregarding my first gig) I had a string of good gigs when I started I sort of hit the ground running, and when my inexperience caught up with me I took it much harder than an open spot at my level should have. I should enjoy the good gigs by all means, but learn from the bad gigs, instead of instantly deciding that I am shit and should never disgrace the stage and the name of comedy ever again. Right now my key issues are:

  • Be comfortable on stage.
  • Make sure the audience is having as much fun as I am.
  • Learn my routines, word perfect.

Once I feel I have achieved those, I will work on...

  • Riff more from the audience, using less material.
  • Write more.
  • Be more adventurous on stage.

Watching stand-up in and around Manchester really helps a lot, and I am finding that being friends with comedians is almost as rewarding as stage time. Like most institutions, the comedy circuit does have its dog-eat-dog aspects, but I really am enjoying spending time with comedians before and after shows, learning from them and sharing their anxieties. Talking comedy to those who know the ropes and getting to know people with whom I share the title of 'Open Spot.'

Then again, I have always been one to enjoy the journey as much as the destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment